October 13th-14th 2008 – Conference: Towards the Center of Pragmatism
There is a growing need for meta-philosophical orientation in
philosophy. This need is becoming more urgent, as different fields of
academic philosophy are subdifferentiating themselves ever more
laboriously, and theoretical and practical philosophy are in danger of
losing sight of each other. Pragmatism, due to its tradition of
integrating and synthesizing different fields is the most obvious
candidate to engage with in order to clarify what post-analytic
philosophy stands for.
The conference will attempt to identify central epistemic and ethical concepts and claims within pragmatism, both critical and constructive, in relation to theoretical and practical reasoning. Main speakers are: David Bakhurst (Kingston, Ontario), James Conant (Chicago), Wolf-Jürgen Cramm (Zurich), Anton Leist (Zurich), Lukas Meyer (Berne), Cheryl Misak (Toronto), John O'Neill (Manchester), Huw Price (Sydney), Henry Richardson (Washington), Michael Williams (Baltimore).
Participation is free of charge, but the numer of participants is limited and registration is required! Please contact Lisa Brun
October 13th-14th 2008, Zurich University, Karl-Schmid-Strasse 4, 8006 Zurich, Room KO2-F-152.
- December 18, 2009 Alec Walen, The Mechanics of Hohfeldian Rights, Featuring a Case Study of Judith Jarvis Thomson on the Trolley Problem
- November 27, 2009 - Workshop: "Representation and its Critics"
- 29./30.Oktober 2009 "Meeting the Author" Philippe van Parijs, University Louvain, Belgium
- 17. Juni 2009 - Gastvortrag - Dr. Corinna Mieth (Bonn): "Willensfreiheit bei Kant"
- 27. Mai 2009 - Kolloquium mit Dr. Corinna Mieth (Corti-Fellow): "Liebe bei Kant"
- 15. Mai 2009 - Workshop: "Personen achten: Begriff und moralischer Stellenwert"
- 13. Mai 2009 - Kolloquium mit Dr. Corinna Mieth (Corti-Fellow): "Supererogation"
- 08. April 2009 - Kolloquium mit Dr. Corinna Mieth (Corti-Fellow): "Individuelle Pflichten unter nicht idealen institutionellen Bedingungen"
- 06. April 2009 - Vortrag Prof. Dr. Christoph Horn (Bonn): "Moralbegründung zwischen Kohärentismus und Fundamentalismus"
- January 15, 2009 - Public Lecture - Carole Rovane (New York) - "Identity and Self-Evaluation"
- December 9, 2008 - Public Lecture - David Miller (Oxford) - "Social Justice versus Global Justice?"
- December 5, 2008 - Public Lecture - Prof. G. A. Cohen (Oxford): "Facts and Principles"
- November 21, 2008 - Workshop: "Work and Social Justice"
- 23. Juni – Vortrag: "Norms of Rationality and the Superficial Unity of the Mind", Prof. Sarah Buss
- March 15./16., 2010 "Meeting the Author" with Paul Horwich, New York University, New York